what's my story?

On Fridays, i have been writing at Five Minute Fridays. This month of October is 31 straight days of writing at  Five Minute Friday

these sunflowers are amazing, aren't they? God makes these giant strong plants to shoot up out of the ground from a little striped seed. these exact seeds were volunteers from the one sunflower that was planted here the year before. living in a small rural community, i hear "you're not from around here, are you?" in conversations with neighbors. like the sunflowers, no, i'm not from here. and like them, i sometimes feel like just one more big fluffy awkward thing in a world of hedges and nice, neat petunias.

these flowers aren't cowering in the face of the oncoming storm. they are facing toward the sun, even though it's hidden by the clouds. i hope that will be what people remember of my story, too. i hope they will say "she turned her eyes toward the Son"


Comments

  1. I so enjoyed reading your interpretation of the sunflowers. It's lovely to understand someone through story. What I've enjoyed about growing them in the past is the idea of a flower, which is generally associated with being delicate, being so sturdy that many years I had to literally saw through the stems to put the garden to bed for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "in a world of hedges and nice, neat petunias."

    Beautiful photo AND beautiful words. I "felt your heart" in this one.

    -Tondra Denise
    (your FMF neighbor #9)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love nature analogies and have written a lot of them on my website. This is one I have never thought of -- sunflowers looking towards the sun through the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of your blog...and the sunflowers! Thank you for posting...and linking so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures as well as the thoughts. I have a Lancaster landscape painting with an impending storm and the sunflower is a sign of life, light and hope, so I share your love for these faces lifted to the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for turning your eyes and heart toward the Son!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment